Re: lv2-sorcer is not installable

On 03. 01. 20 19:24, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
The dep was provided by non-ntk, which got retired about half a year
ago [1] after FTBFSing since F29 [2].

<SARCASM>Isn't it great</SARCASM> when the policy designed to remove
breakage from the distribution actually CREATES breakage? Retiring packages
with no regards to their reverse dependencies is just broken. It had never
been done that way in the past, before Miro's recent crackdown, because it
simply defeats all common sense.

As a matter of fact, the policy was changed recently, so depending package maintainers MUST get notifications. The Fedora 31 round was unfortunate, mostly because nobody got properly notified. I have devoted a great amount of energy and time to make it better for next rounds. I hope it worked. Only couple of packages are to be retired, where the maintainers simply don't care anymore with only one dependent package:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/YRLNHZSV4U47A3MDWIU6MUANVMPEFKD2/

For the F31 crackdown - it's not like a retired package cannot ever be unretired. It has been more than 8 weeks now, but I gladly re-review a package that got retired, if new maintainers pop up. Unlike you, I actually believe packages must be maintained in order to be kept.

The solution is not to stop orphaning/retiring FTBFS packages, the solution is to get "broken deps" notifications working again:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/RBV3UTSPIGW3TOZJSYTXCZMRV4QBR7X5/

--
Miro Hrončok