Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal (late): Enable EarlyOOM

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 2:51 AM Aleksandra Fedorova <alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since in the Change we are not introducing just the earlyoom tool but enable it with a specific profile I would add those details here. Smth like:
>
> "earlyoom service will choose the offending process based on the same oom_score as kernel uses. It will send a SIGTERM signal on 10% of RAM left, and SIGKILL on 5%"

I add this information to the summary. Also, I think these numbers may
need to change to avoid prematurely sending SIGTERM when the system
has no swap device.

> As I understand in the current setup we are looking more for a controlled failure scenario rather than for a solution.

Yes, it's fair to say this proposal is to make things "less bad". It
doesn't improve system responsiveness. Once heavy swap starts, the
system is sluggish, stutters, and briefly stalls. This proposal
doesn't fix that. There is a lot of room for improvement.

> Can we get a specific manual, what users supposed to do, once they trigger the earlyoom? Does earlyoom help in reporting? Which logs we need to look at?
>
> Maybe add a section in UX part of the change, or setup a dedicated wiki page?

The user shouldn't need to do anything differently than if the kernel
oom-killer had triggered. The system journal will contain messages
showing what was killed and why:

Jan 04 16:05:42 fmac.local earlyoom[4896]: low memory! at or below
SIGTERM limits: mem 10 %, swap 10 %
Jan 04 16:05:42 fmac.local earlyoom[4896]: sending SIGTERM to process
27421 "chrome": badness 305, VmRSS 42 MiB

> Additionally, there was a question during the chat discussion: how the earlyoom setup will work together with OOMPolicy and any other related options of systemd units? Will systemd recognize the OOM event?

My understanding of systemd OOMPolicy= behavior, is it looks for the
kernel's oom-killer messages and acts upon those. Whereas earlyoom
uses the same metric (oom_score) as the oom-killer, it does not invoke
the oom-killer. Therefore systemd probably does not get the proper
hint to implement OOMPolicy=

Fedora need to discuss how big of a problem that is, if there's anyway
to mitigate it, or tolerate it, weighing the pros of earlyoom for a
short period, versus the cons of punting this problem for another
release. This proposal does not intend to step on other superseding
work in this area, but if it does, it'll be withdrawn.

--
Chris Murphy