Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal (late): Enable EarlyOOM

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 3:57 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is NO scenario in which hard shutdowns should occur, except battery
> failure on mobile devices. The state of the system on boot will vary wildly
> from what you may expect when it is hard powered off. I would suggest using
> SysRq in such events.

Yes I know all about sysrq. Everyday ordinary users do not, and I'm
not going to teach them about it because

a) I already know the outcome: eyes glaze over, then they say "yeah
whatever I'll just force power off, works fine - except for the data
loss"
b) much of the time, I couldn't get to a VT, and sshd was hung or even
got killed by oom-killer. So I couldn't do sysrq anyway.
c) in the cases were I could issue syrq+b, responsiveness was so bad
it'd take upwards of 15 minutes just to type out the command

So yeah, screw it, I'm pressing the power button

These aren't contrived cases. They are real world. Baremetal and VM
reproducible. And unprivileged processes. This is fully discussed in
detail in the devel@ thread I reference in the proposal, and I'm not
going to repeat myself in this thread.

--
Chris Murphy