Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Restart services at end of rpm transaction

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 10:14 AM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 10:45:07AM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 10:11 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Even with this proposal, how do we deal with system upgrades? In the
> system upgrade case, we don't really want these restarts to run,
> because the system will be rebooted anyway... These kinds of questions
> are why I didn't propose porting over what we did in OpenMandriva to
> Fedora. It's rather wasteful in a rather common case...

I'm not sure if skipping restarts on upgrade is worth the trouble. It
should be quite simple to implement (e.g. by having the restart scriptlet
check if the systemd target has been diverted to system-update.target),
but restarting of services would most likely take only a small fraction
of time required for the upgrade anyway.

Maybe it should only restart the service if it's already running. In the case of an upgrade it's a special target, right?

Actually that's probably a good idea anyway. If I have stopped a service (even if it's enabled) then it should not be restarted on upgrade.

Thanks,
Richard