Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Firewalld Default to nftables

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 3:32 PM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/firewalld_default_to_nftables
>
> == Summary ==
> This change will toggle the default firewalld backend from iptables to
> nftables. All of firewalld's primitives will use nftables while direct
> rules continue to use iptables/ebtables.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:erig0| Eric Garver]]
> * Email: egarver@xxxxxxxxxx
>

> == Detailed Description ==
> Firewalld upstream has used nftables as the default backend for the
> past two minor releases. It is also the default in other distributions
> (e.g. RHEL-8). This change will bring Fedora in line with upstream.
>
> Using nftables bring many advantages. See firewalld's upstream
> [https://firewalld.org/2018/07/nftables-backend blog post]. It also
> highlights a few behavioral changes.
>
> == Benefit to Fedora ==
> * Fewer firewall rules (rule consolidation)
> All of firewalld's primitives will use the same underlying firewall
> (nftables) instead of duplicating rules both in iptables and
> ip6tables. In nftables rules can match both IPv4 and IPv6 packets.
> This reduces the number of firewall rules by half.
> * firewalld's rules are namespaced
> With nftables firewalld's rules are isolated to a "firewalld" table. A
> separate firewall (or user) can create its own independent ruleset and
> firewalld will never touch it.
> * Netfilter upstream is focusing on nftables, not iptables
>
> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners: firewalld (erig0, Eric Garver)
> Currently the firewalld package has a Fedora downstream patch to hide
> the nftables backend. The only firewalld change required is to remove
> that patch from the package and rebuild.
>
> * Other developers: libvirt, podman, docker
> ** libvirt
> *** libvirt already cooperates with the firewalld nftables backend.
> The only thing needed is to test/verify.
> ** podman
> *** libvirt already cooperates with the firewalld nftables backend.
> The only thing needed is to test/verify.
> ** docker
> *** Docker currently does not cooperate with the nftables backend. It
> currently side-steps firewalld by injecting its own rules in iptables
> ahead of firewalld's rules. However, with the nftables backend
> firewalld's rule will still be evaluated. Netfilter in the kernel will
> call iptables, then nftables for the same packet. This means
> firewalld/nftables is likely to drop the packet even if docker has
> iptables rules to ACCEPT.
> *** Proposed fix 1: Docker package should provide a firewalld zone
> definition that includes the docker interfaces (e.g. docker0). The
> zone should use the "ACCEPT" policy (firewalld --set-target). This
> will allow docker's traffic to pass through firewalld/nftables.
> **** Issue 1: If a user has configured a different docker bridge name,
> then they'll have to manually add the bridge to the docker zone (or
> [...]

I realize I'm commenting quite late on this and it's already been
accepted, but did anyone realize that nspawn and networkd were not
compatible with firewalld in nftables mode? I didn't until it came up
in the Mageia dev mailing list[1], where someone tried to build a
firewalld-based firewall on a Mageia-based server using networkd for
network management and firewall rules were not working because
systemd's firewall-util functions are using libiptc instead of
libnftables. There's an upstream bug report on systemd about it,
too[2]. This needs to be addressed in some manner before Fedora 32
beta freeze...

[1]: https://ml.mageia.org/l/arc/dev/2019-12/msg00109.html
[2]: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/13307