Re: orphaning bleachbit

On Sun, 19 May 2019 11:05:46 +0200
Silvia Sánchez <bhkohane@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, I know Python 2 will be soon removed, but I can't just let
> Bleachbit die.  It's too useful for that.
> Finding a sponsor seems to be the hard bit.  I've been looking for
> one for ages.

I have never used bleachbit, but I took a look at this program to see if
it would be a simple matter to convert it to python3.  It won't.  The
program uses the python2 and gtk2 module pygtk.  To convert it to
python3, the entire program would have to be rewritten to use gtk3 for
python3. gtk2 and gtk3 don't have the same api calls, so someone with
domain knowledge of gtk2 and gtk3 would have to do this (I don't have
that knowledge).

It looks like the command line version doesn't use the gtk module, only
the gui version.  So it probably would be fairly simple to convert the
program to a python3 version that only worked via the command line by
stripping all the gui code.  As long as the other modules it uses to
do its actual function are compatible with python3.  I didn't check that
deeply.