Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Tue, 2019-12-17 at 10:43 +0100, Kamil Paral wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 2:31 AM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2019-12-16 at 16:52 -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> > > I've offered to take on responsibility for these tests in this thread,
> > and I'm
> > > still open to that. This is still important to many users, and I'm more
> > than
> > > happy to volunteer my time to support those users.
> >
> > If we can actually rely on you to show up and do these tests - within,
> > remember, sometimes a very short time frame - that'd be great. However,
> > we've gone through this loop before with some other criteria (we
> > propose dropping them, someone complains and promises to do the
> > testing, then doesn't actually do it in the end) enough times that we'd
> > be a bit cautious about this. Still, we have F32 Beta coming up quite
> > soon, we could potentially delay this feature and see how that goes -
> > see if anyone besides RH Fedora QE staff shows up to run the tests...
> >

> I think having community help with optical testing shouldn't really affect
> the outcome of the proposal. We claim that the importance of optical media
> has diminished and it's now below the threshold for granting it a
> release-blocking status. That's not really affected by whom executes the
> tests.

To me it is, in a weird way: I tend to view the presence of someone
who's willing to actually *do* something as a proxy for there being
others who care about it. For instance on the 32-bit x86 topic - if the
x86 SIG had *worked* and we'd had one or two people who really cared
about it show up to do the work, like we have for ARM or ppc64, I'd
have been more inclined to believe there were more people out there who
really needed to run Fedora on 32-bit x86.

So if the question is "do people really want Fedora on physical optical
disc?", I'm more likely to believe the answer is 'yes' if one or two of
them shows up to actually test it...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey