Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 7:54:05 PM MST Ryan Walklin wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Dec 2019, at 1:39 PM, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
>

> > Please see the examples cited earlier in the thread, of systems that
> > cannot be installed from USB.
>

> Those are pretty vague references to old workstations and servers rather
> than specific make/model.

I can provide an example or two, but I'd rather not waste time compiling a
list. A good example, any server using iDRAC6,7,8 or 9, such as a PowerEdge
R440. These are in the interesting edge case that I mentioned, where it
supports USB boot if you physically connect a USB drive, but you can't use USB
images over the iDRAC. An example of a system that cannot boot from USB at all
is a ThinkPad T400, running default boot firmware, which is what most users
that own that laptop would have.

> Can you not use a generic rescue DVD/CD running
> something like rEFInd http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind to then actually boot
> from USB? Then you wouldn't have to faff keeping your optical media up to
> date anyway.

I have no idea whether or not that'd work, but I generally don't mess around
with random tools like that to try to get something to boot. Looks like it
requires UEFI, so I'm going to go with "Not in most cases", though it might
work for the systems with UEFI implementations that don't support USB boot.
When I'm wearing my user hat, I just want it to work! It currently does, and
it doesn't actually take a lot of maintenance to keep it working. I'd be happy
to jump on the list of people doing QA of physical DVDs, so long as we can
keep it as release-blocking, because this WILL hurt users if it is dropped,
and we WILL have a release with broken optical media installation, most likely
in the first release to adopt this Change.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity