Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Sat, Dec 14, 2019 at 9:26 AM Justin W. Flory <jflory7@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> For what it's worth, I like Miro's idea a lot but also haven't thought about it extensively. I think this could prioritize these issues as release-blocking when we don't have enough data to understand the impact of this Change, but it also saves a lot of time and effort on the QA team for shipping releases to focus on other things. Another piece of feedback I'd be interested to know is how often serious issues do come up when testing optical media, or if the issue is that it is just a lot of manual work that is hard to do.
>
> Some of my 2¢.

Isn't the primary optical media testing done these days by mounting an
iso image attached to a virtual machine? I'd not even bother burning
media these days until it passed this test, due to the need for
hands-on media management. And it's certainly one of the use caes for
virtual media and iso images. I'm not suggesting that physical media
not be tested, but isn't all the media testing first done with a
virtual OS and virtual media? In which case, the virtual image testing
is pretty much happening anyway.