Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Sat, 2019-12-14 at 02:18 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Chris Murphy wrote:
> > What? There are only two images that are release blocking for optical
> > media right now.
> >
> > Everything/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Everything-netinst-x86_64-
> _RELEASE_MILESTONE_.iso
> > Workstation/x86_64/iso/Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-
> _RELEASE_MILESTONE_.iso
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/31/ReleaseBlocking
>
> Who decided this, when?

It was decided on this list and test@ , in January 2017:

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/KICRVUS3YHNTLHY47O5A2XL2C5YMCFIH/
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/HLXHEB364LOLFHB2RDX6K4DFA4VJIWMF/
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Releases/26/ReleaseBlocking&oldid=484517

Note, this isn't exactly a case of 'Workstation is more important than
KDE'. Rather, the idea was that we can be more efficient in testing by
only testing *one* live image, because all the live images are built
exactly the same way, so if one boots there's really absolutely no
reason all the others shouldn't boot too. Similarly for traditional
installer images. So, we picked the Everything netinst as the
'representative' for traditional installer images, and the Workstation
live as the 'representative' for live images; the idea is that if we
just test those two, it 99.99999% proves all the others will also boot.

If this proposal is accepted, of course, the question becomes moot; but
if it isn't, we can look at tweaking how this is explained in the wiki
and test matrix, because this element is not really clear as things
stand (and I'd forgotten it and had to re-read the threads to refresh
my memory).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey