Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Drop Optical Media Release Criterion

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 9:28 AM Vitaly Zaitsev via devel <devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12.12.2019 21:37, Ben Cotton wrote:
> Proposal to make all Fedora optical media non-blocking. This means
> we'd stop blocking on bugs found during the installation of Fedora
> from optical media (like CDs and DVDs). This doesn't mean that
> installation from optical media would stop working, just that the
> Fedora Release wouldn't be blocked on any issues that can pop up in
> Fedora installation using this method. Installation from USB devices
> will remain blocking.

I'm strongly against this change. There are still lots of working
hardware that does not support booting from USB in UEFI mode (first wave
of hardware with UEFI BIOS).

Fedora should be installable on all supported hardware.

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 3:19 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ben Cotton wrote:
> Proposal to make all Fedora optical media non-blocking. This means
> we'd stop blocking on bugs found during the installation of Fedora
> from optical media (like CDs and DVDs). This doesn't mean that
> installation from optical media would stop working, just that the
> Fedora Release wouldn't be blocked on any issues that can pop up in
> Fedora installation using this method. Installation from USB devices
> will remain blocking.

I am against this Change. This is clearly a special case of Fedora not being
installable at all on a significant subset of hardware. I do not think it is
acceptable to ship it that way.

This change is not aimed to make Fedora non-installable via CD/DVD. As it's written in the proposal, "This doesn't mean that installation from optical media would stop working, just that the Fedora Release wouldn't be blocked on any issues that can pop up in Fedora installation using this method. "

Also, if you care about Fedora being installable from CD or DVD, you might want to help with testing. Bugs will be handled like any other bugs found in Fedora. No one apart from Fedora QE Team members filled F31 Final Validation Testing Matrix for optical media installation [0][1][2].

As for HW that does not support USB boot, there will always be some HW without USB boot support caused probably by firmware bugs. However, the vast majority of HW sold in last decade should support USB boot just fine. Even desktop I had in 2004 supported USB boot...

This proposal would allow QE to focus more on areas which are exposed to the majority of users instead of having to spend limited time and resources by burning CDs and testing them just to make sure it works for fraction of user base. I don't expect to suddenly have F32 released with broken boot from optical media.

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_31_RC_1.3_Installation#Default_boot_and_install
[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_31_RC_1.8_Installation#Default_boot_and_install
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_31_RC_1.9_Installation#Default_boot_and_install