Re: Suggestion for Fedora change proposal: -Bsymbolic-functions default in LDFLAGS

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 12:28 AM John Reiser <jreiser@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > If you are running into that kind of problems where
> > plugins/modules/dynamically linked objects may have conflicting
> > requirements
>
> then see dlmopen():  https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/LinkerNamespaces

Agreed, my first response to this kind of problem was invoking the
First principle and as a downstream effort align both parts of the
offending application to the latest zlib, if that application is part
of the package collection.

Either way I wouldn't cripple end-users with -Bsymbolic.

And in the same spirit of the link you shared, even with -Bsymbolic
you might lose guarantees if one part of the application linked
against libz.x and the other libz.y: while intra-zlib calls may not
cross boundaries there is also no guarantee that the application part
linking against libz.x will not in fact make calls to libz.y in an
incompatible way (since SONAMEs don't match).

Dridi