Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 9:41 AM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Friday, December 6, 2019 8:27:32 AM MST Marius Schwarz wrote:

> > "Figure out intersection with current work to use the TPM to allow
> > booting to GDM without entering the password."
> >
> > Means, if someone steals the device, he can boot a system. Even if we
> > assume that the systemcode is safe and there is no way to interrupt the
> > bootprocess, we are now able to attack the login, which will be much
> > easier than the encryption key, which is massive compared to the
> > passwords in use.
>
> Yeah, there are a contingent here that believe that it's not necessary to
> ensure the person booting the device is actually authorized to access the
> content of the laptop..

Is it your position that encrypting ~/ alone is not an incremental
improvement? Are you suggesting it's necessary to assume Fedora
Workstation users are subject to targeted attacks? And therefore
install time default must encrypt /, /home, swap? And that this
targeted attack, that applies to everyone, does not include targeted
attacks on unencrypted /boot or the bootloader for reasons you refuse
to elaborate on? And you propose that users should have to opt out of
this, rather than opt in?

> And, because it makes things "easy" for the user, I get the feeling something
> like this will wind up getting implemented. Oh well.

It's already implemented. There is no encryption by default.

You've set up a false dilemma where the only two valid options are do
nothing and do what you want. You reject all intermediate options,
dismissing them out of turn without any meaningful evaluation. And
that's on top of having said you are unconcerned with GNOME and don't
care about the outcome. If you don't care, why are you still arguing?

--
Chris Murphy