Re: Issue with Fedora GeoIP service

On Fri, 2019-12-06 at 08:38 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> When installing Fedora 31 on a system, I noticed that anaconda defaulted
> to US/Pacific for the time zone, rather than the correct US/Central.
> I'm on a Google Fiber connection, and when I check Fedora's service at
> https://geoip.fedoraproject.org/city I get the info for their HQ in
> Mountain View.  I'm pretty sure I got my proper location in the past.
>
> What geoIP service is Fedora using for this?
AFAIK the service is run as part of the Fedora infrastrucuture, due to
its potentially sensitive nature (every manual installation that has
network access will try to reach this API). It is not a third party provided
API.

>   When I check MaxMind's
> site, they give the correct info for both my IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
> (which BTW the Fedora geoIP lookup doesn't have a v6 address so only
> checks v4).
>
> I also installed the Fedora 31 GeoIP packages and ran the geoipupdate,
> and that DB has the correct info.
IIRC the infra team mentioned some issues with the new geoip database
being incompatible with how the service is currently implemented,
resulting in being stuck with an outdated database until this is resolved.

But I'm sure the people actually running this will know more, so CCing the Fedora infra list.