Re: Should we discontinue the Python Classroom Lab?

On Thu, Dec 05, 2019 at 04:42:46PM -0700, John M. Harris Jr wrote:
> On Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:05:38 PM MST Daniel Walsh wrote:

> > > What's wrong with the packaged version of Docker?
> > >

> > It does not exists in Fedora 31.  What is the issue with Podman support?
>
> I didn't know it was removed, and I don't know what "Podman" is. Is that a
> Docker clone?

It's a mostly compatible command line wise with the old docker, no daemon,
OCI (open container initiative) comlpiant container engine.
https://podman.io/

> Why in the world was Docker removed? Docker is the most popular container
> technology, so if we must embrace the "container" systems, why not include the
> most popular in Fedora?

Because Docker, inc decided to use 'docker' for their commercial
offerings and split off the open source version as 'moby'.

moby is packaged and available in Fedora, but IMHO podman is much
better. No big deamon needed, no root needed (depending on what you are
doing), very responsive upstream.

(I'm sure dwalsh or others will correct me if I am off on any of the
above)

kevin