Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:14 PM John M. Harris Jr <johnmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 4, 2019 5:09:55 PM MST Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:41 PM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> > > If you do this, someone can manipulate your system to trojan horse your
> > > passwords,
> > > when he has physical access to it.
> > >

> > > Full-Diskencryption ( /boot included ) is the only way to protect the
> > > system itself.
> > > Anything else is simply not secure.
> >

> > systemd-homed doesn't depend on /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow for
> > authentication. By all means its security guarantees should be
> > evaluated.
> > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/14096
> >
> > What you're talking about is entirely up to the user to configure
> > manually. Fedora installations today don't support bootloader lock
> > down, encrypted /boot, or purging the LUKS key from memory during
> > suspend, out of the box. And therefore I'm not sure what your goal
> > posts are, what two things you're comparing.
>
> It may be the case that the GNOME Spin doesn't support that, but it is
> supported with the KDE Spin. I don't think it's likely that anything in the
> GNOME image would break that, but it's possible I suppose.

I have no idea what you mean by "supported" nor which of the multiple
characteristics I listed you think apply to Fedora KDE.

What I mean by support = that which Fedora produces in release
blocking desktops, most typically in a default configuration, and for
which release criteria have been written. None of the things I wrote
apply to Fedora KDE either, so it's simply not correct to call them
supported. The functionality may exist in KDE, but that's not the same
thing as what Fedora supports. And I did very clearly write "Fedora
installations today don't support..."

--
Chris Murphy