Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 4:22 PM Marius Schwarz <fedoradev@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Am 03.12.19 um 09:07 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> > Also note that on Fedora Workstation we default to suspend-on-idle
> > these days. i.e. when you don't actually work on the laptop the laptop
> > is suspended and not reachable via SSH at all, hence adding
> > systemd-homed doesn't make anything worse in that regard...
> >

> How do you wanne access data on your homeserver, when you are at work?

And how do you want to protect it, when you're at work?

> The system will idle, will go into suspend and you can't access it anymore?

You do understand that present day suspend to RAM, the encryption keys
are in memory and your data is not protected at rest? Locking ~/ prior
to suspend is a feature. It's intentional that you can't access ~/
until you authenticate again. The challenge is how to make remote
authentication that does both login and ~/ unlock possible.

> I really hope, it's easily configureable, otherwise it will end up here
> "dnf erase".

The challenge will be how to convey the configuration, and its
different consequences to the user. And it's not even decided what the
default behaviors would be.

--
Chris Murphy