Re: RFC: Branch requests from non-maintainers

On Mon, Dec 02, 2019 at 01:55:55PM +0100, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 3 months ago, Miro opened releng ticket[0] raising question whether
> non-maintainers (of some specific packages) being able to request
> branches.
>
> However, it never went anywhere outside of that ticket.
>
> I'd like to ask people on this mailing list a few questions. Let's say
> we have some theoretical package and it has only one maintainer in
> src.fp.o.
>
> * Should any other packager (not that maintainer) be able to request
> new branches on that repo?
> * Should provenpackager be able to do the same request?

IIUC, effectively "new branches" means "EPEL branches" since normal
Fedora branches are all created automatically.

So to rephrase this....

  * Should someone who is not the maintainer be able to declare
    that the maintainer must accept EPEL branches & the extra
    work that involves thereafter.

AFAIK, there's no requirement that Fedora package maintainers have
to provide EPEL branches, its upto each maintainer if they want that
work.

Personally I don't wish to maintain EPEL branches for any package I'm
maintaining in Fedora, since it is an additional timesink I don't need.
I'm more than happy for people to volunteer as co-maintainers and then
take care of EPEL branches though & thus I've added co-maintainers on
many occassions for this reason.

Even if the request to create the branch by a non-maintainer was
honoured, it wouldn't result in any builds being done on that branch,
nor any bugs being triaged thereafter.

So if the maintainer doesn't want to maintain the EPEL branches, the
only long term viable option is to find willing co-maintainers to join,
who can then request the branch & do builds, triage bugs, etc.

IOW, I struggle to see a reason to allow someone who is a not a
(co-)maintainer to request new branches in general. I'm not convinced
that provenpackagers should be able to do this either, unless they
want to volunteer to be the explicitly co-maintainer too, in which
case the question doesn't arise.

Regards,
Daniel