Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

David Kaufmann wrote on Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 11:13:15AM +0100:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 09:45:44AM +0100, Dominique Martinet wrote:
> > FWIW this has happened at an association I help at -- they had VMs with
> > no root password set, and users created by puppet some of whom have
> > sudo.
> > They just expected no root password = no login possible, but it turns
> > out 'su' just gave out a root shell with no password entered...
> >
> > It's easy to fix once I realized that, but it had been that way for
> > quite a while until then; I'd definitely support removing nullok on the
> > default install.
>
> At least with Fedora 31 the root-Password is invalid by default, so I
> guess it has been set to an empty password explicitely.
> I'd classify this more as a bug in the puppet-scripts, as it sounds like
> it touched security relevant stuff on installation, without admins being
> aware of it.

Yes, definitely. I'm pretty sure puppet didn't touch it, but they must
have set the root password to an empty string somewhere on deployment --
I found it now I'm looking, they run 'passwd -d root' in the image on
purpose apparently (don't ask me why...), and people who had done it
left and turnover happened and new people weren't aware of it.

I really just wanted to answer Adam's "does it really happen?" question
- it does.

Would the change have been enough to make whoever removed the root
password not also re-add nullok ? I don't know, but it might have made
them think about it twice and reconsider doing that.

In an ideal world I think most people would consider passwordless login
ok if you're on the console or a physical seat, and not ok if you come
from ssh or some script running somewhere (cgi or whatever). Is that
attainable ?

--
Dominique