Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

Samuel Sieb wrote on Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 01:38:51AM -0800:
> >FWIW this has happened at an association I help at -- they had VMs with
> >no root password set, and users created by puppet some of whom have
> >sudo.
> >They just expected no root password = no login possible, but it turns
> >out 'su' just gave out a root shell with no password entered...
>
> "su" or "sudo"?  Your scenario is unclear.

both worked -- that is the point, su should not have worked here.

They basically gave root access to everyone, regardless of sudoer
settings.

> >It's easy to fix once I realized that, but it had been that way for
> >quite a while until then; I'd definitely support removing nullok on the
> >default install.
>
> I don't think that this proposal would even help with that situation. This
> is about user passwords, not root.  How were those VMs created?

Whatever the virtualization solution they use to create VMs, it just had
an empty root password.
I haven't checked what is used, I agree it also is a bug in their setup
script (fixed since then), but there are plenty of scenarii where an
empty root password makes sense for VMs/containers e.g. allow logins
from the console by default, so I believe these will continue to do
that.

> If you're creating users with sudo access, how can you not expect to
> have root be accessible?

It sure would... I didn't say root user should be locked out to sudoers,
just 'su' shouldn't work.

An alternative might be to go back to securetty settings allowing
console login but not non-interactive su or su over ssh. That does sound
harder to setup/easier to miss, though, and if someone does set a root
password up they would be doubly surprised... I don't think we can tell
it to only look at securetty if the password was empty?

--
Dominique