Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Disallow Empty Password By Default

On Monday, November 25, 2019 2:59:18 PM MST Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 11/25/19 1:25 PM, Ben Cotton wrote:
>
> > == Benefit to Fedora ==
> >
> > Changes in described components (Step 1 - Step 4) are necessary to
> > implement in order to make sure that user accounts and tools works
> > correctly when authentication with empty password is disabled by
> > system administrator. Changing system default to disallow
> > authentication with empty passwords (Step 5) improves system
> > hardening.
>

> Steps 1 - 4 are not benefits, they are workarounds to critical system
> utilities required by this change.  I don't understand why this change
> is necessary at all.  It only affects local logins and if someone wants
> to have an empty password, why make it so difficult?  It's their choice.
>   It's not like Fedora has any default logins with empty passwords, the
> user has to make their own.
> Fedora Code of Conduct:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/project/code-of-conduct/ List
> Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines List
> Archives:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I would have to agree. It's one thing to warn non-technical users when setting
empty passwords, another entirely to prevent them. Many non-technical users
just don't want a password set on their system.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.
Splentity