Open Babel 3.0.0

Hello,

This is addressed to the maintainers of packages that depend on
openbabel and Dominik, who maintains obenbabel.

One of the upstream projects I'm monitoring received a patch yesterday
for openbabel-3.0.0, which was released a little over a month ago. I
took a look at its changelog, which is quite extensive and decided to
build the toolkit locally and test it on my chemical files. I was
surprised to see that every molecule and structure that had caused me
problems in previous versions was treated without a hitch. Version
3.0.0 also comes with a number of interoperability improvements and
increased support for various file types (several of which I have
never encountered).

At the same time, there are API breaks, which means that we can not
just rebuild dependent packages against the new version, there is some
patching to be done. The good people of Open Babel have published a
porting guide and for many packages the changes seem trivial, but I
strongly suspect that this won't be the case for every package. Given
the state of activity of many upstream projects, I fear that the onus
will be on distribution maintainers to fix many issues.

Now I'd argue that the changes in v3.0.0 would be worth bending the
rules and updating everything in stable Fedora branches, but that is
just unrealistic. Do you all think we could at least make it in time
for f32? For the relatively dead projects, have you seen any patches
going around in other distributions?

Best regards