Re: Modularity: The Official Complaint Thread

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 1:34 PM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Aleksandar Kurtakov wrote:
> > > Here you seem to be missing the third option packager may choose -
> > > maintain none of them and say bye to Fedora. Which IMHO is the most likely
> > > outcome of all this.
> >
> > "Say bye to Fedora" is what I am going to do if this forced modularity
> > madness is not going to stop, and I will be taking my 51 packages with me.
> >
> > A distribution that does not allow me to install 2 completely unrelated
> > applications just because they happen to transitively depend on different
> > versions of some library deep in the stack is entirely useless to me.
> >

> You keep repeating this statement as if I haven't said several times
> now: "If you have a library that can be installed in parallel, make a
> compat package. Modularity is not the correct solution for that case".
>
> You don't want to do that for libraries in general. Rather, it makes
> more sense if you need to swap out a framework of tightly
> interdependent packages. (Node.js or Django would be reasonable
> examples here). Another example that would make sense is... KDE.
> Instead of doing a mass-upgrade in the middle of a release, you could
> make the Plasma Workstation packages into a module with KDE release
> number as the stream. Then people could switch voluntarily to the next
> version if they want to do so mid-release or they can wait until an
> upgrade to the next release moves them over.
>
> Now, I realize we have some technical issues that prevent you from
> doing this today (the previously-acknowledged upgrade bugs). But if
> those were fixed, wouldn't it be *really convenient* to update the
> packages and then kick off a single build that would build for all
> active Fedora (and/or EPEL) releases? You'd only need to manage the
> single module build of all the components once, rather than a build
> per-component for each release you want to support. That's the
> usability goal we're working towards in Modularity. We've had a bit of
> trouble hitting our target for ease-of-use, but that's mostly because
> we encountered more edge-cases (and resistance) than we expected and
> have thus been dealing with the higher-priority issues first.

Could we have those parts without the module mangling bits? Having a
definition to orchestrate the creation of the SRPMs, then order them
correctly for a chain build, then push them into a defined side-tag
would be glorious. Making it so that works across multiple releases
for the same commit would be nirvana.

Then we'd be talking about a reduced form of the yaml that controls
the creation of side-tags, builds the RPMs into there, then lets you
use the output side tag as an input for submitting a large update to
Bodhi.