Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Build Python 3 to statically link with libpython3.8.a for better performance

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 8:31 AM Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry, but I'm with Vít there. If Python is running into toolchain
limitations, the goal should be to work on improving the toolchain, not to
add a hack with side effects (bloat, compatibility issues) to the Python
package, a hack with which we will then get stuck with forever (because you
admitted yourself that you do not intend it to be temporary).

How is statically linked libpython hack? It's just a different way to do it, isn't it? And if toolchain needs some improving, fine, but why should we have lower performance and keep waiting on it if there is a solution available right now? Solution that's been tested and proven to work in other high profile Distributions (Ubuntu, Debian).  And size increase? It's so tiny, I can't imagine why should that matter at all.

Also, this is change to Python ecosystem in Fedora, it does not depend on Ruby, Perl and others.

Anyhow, I am very much for this proposal.