Re: Getting notified on broken deps from updates-testing

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 10:14 AM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 07. 11. 19 9:55, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 7, 2019, 09:25 Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 06. 11. 19 23:10, Randy Barlow wrote:
> >      > On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 21:32 +0100, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> >      >> Is there any good way to get notified about this sort of problems in
> >      >> timely manner prior to the update being pushed? This is currently not
> >      >> optimal.
> >      >
> >      > I'm not familiar with an existing solution to this problem, but I agree
> >      > that it is not optimal.
> >      >
> >      > I had a chat or three with Brian Stinson about some ways we could deal
> >      > with problems like this. Today, when we CI packages (i.e., Bodhi
> >      > gating), we typically just run the tests associated with the package
> >      > being altered. Brian suggested that we could *also* run the tests of
> >      > the packages that depend on the package being altered, against the
> >      > altered package. This way if a change to something (like pyramid) would
> >      > break a dependent package's tests (such as cornice), then the update
> >      > for pyramid should get a failed test result on its tests tab. The
> >      > problem is that this does increase the load on the test system greatly,
> >      > but perhaps we can get enough hardware to make that OK. Not sure.
> >

> >     Having this sort of CI would be awesome, however it looks like it's not on the
> >     top of the TODO list:
> >
> >     RFE: Koschei-like CI (opened  8 months ago)
> >     https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/general/issue/45
> >
> >     RFE: Check if dependent packages install (opened 8 months ago)
> >     https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/general/issue/46
> >
> >     Support automatic execution of tests of dependent components (opened 1 year ago)
> >     https://pagure.io/fedora-ci/general/issue/7
> >

> >     And either way, since CI is opt-in, I would need to go and setup CI for all of
> >     dependencies (including transitive) of all my packages. I haven't really
> >     checked
> >     how big is this tree but I suppose it is enormous.
> >

> > Would an automated daily report (like the broken rawhide deps report that we
> > used to have) help? I could hack that together for different fedora branches +
> > updates-testing pretty easily, and adding notifications when a broken dependency
> > gets added in -testing wouldn't be hard either.
>
> I've mostl started this thread to see if I indeed need to script this.
>
> If you could look into it, ut would be awesome.
>
> This is very useful as starting point (rawhide example):
>
> $ sudo dnf --repo=rawhide makecache
> $ installcheck x86_64 /var/cache/dnf/rawhide*.solv*
>
> (Igor has shown this to me at Flock.)
>
> It would probably need some interface that let me filter my packages. And
> multi-repo for released Fedora.
>
> This is what we use for Python 2 in rawhide:
>
> https://github.com/fedora-python/portingdb/blob/master/portingdb/check_fti.py

Oh, I didn't know installcheck existed.
I've used repoclosure to get unsatisfied dependencies for all packages
(including unsatisfied BRs).

My initial work is here:
https://pagure.io/fedora-health-check

I'll set up a cron job to generate and push this data daily.
Once (or if) the list of broken stuff ever gets smaller I can also set
up automated notifications ...

Fabio