Re: Encrypted DNS in Fedora

On Mon, Nov 04, 2019 at 10:40:47AM -0600, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any project or team involved with improving encrypted DNS support
> in Fedora? Any movement in Red Hat corporate?
>
> - Glibc team?
>     The /etc/resolv.conf file needs some love. AFAIK it still does not verify DNSSEC.
> - Bind team?
>     Using 'stunnel' is not a real option.
> - DHCP(d & c) team?
>     Some sort of standard for applying DoT/DoH options to resolv.conf
> - NetworkManager team?
>     Same as above.
>
> This last effort I know of was back in 2012[1] but it was limited to DNSSEC
> only. According to Arch's table[2] only two DNS applications have support
> for encrypted DNS.
>
> IMHO, this should be our number one priority over modules, new spins, or
> whatever paint color the bike shed needs to be today. I would like to see
> DNS over TLS (DoT) with DTLS at the very least.

  We have getdns-stubby packaged for DoT and dnscrypt-proxy for DoH.
Anyone interested can have Do* enabled on his system.
systemd-resolved also supports DoT, although in insecure way:
We may be missing stuff like https://github.com/dimkr/nss-tls ,
but do we need it?

  I have DoH enabled system-wide on one of my installatioans for over
a year. We have required software packaged, so what exactly do you
propose?

--
Tomasz Torcz                 Morality must always be based on practicality.
xmpp: zdzichubg@xxxxxxxxx                -- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen