Re: Official font

Le mercredi 30 octobre 2019 à 12:53 -0400, Stephen John Smoogen a
écrit :
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 at 11:59, Iñaki Ucar <iucar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I incidentally discovered today that, since quite recently, there's
> > Red Hat font [1]. And this led me to think about the popularity of
> > the
> > Ubuntu font, you know, and how nice would be to have a nice catchy
> > official Fedora font integrated into the distro... I'm just
> > thinking
> > aloud, because I don't know anything about font design. But maybe
> > someone picks up the gauntlet... ;-)
> >

> Font designs are hard. You have multiple copyright and similar legal
> rights which you have to both deal with and contract out to.

Creating fonts is hard, because they require drawing many symbols to be
useful (Unicode grows year after year), over several axes (at least
Weight, Width and Slope), keeping all the symbols æsthetically
balanced, and respecting cultural conventions.

Plus, HiDPI is not yet available everywhere, so you need to deal with
pixel grid-fitting (round symbol shape dimensions at all sizes) and all
the associated crap. Last I checked Wayland is unable to drive HiDPI
screens properly because input handling is not separated in a dedicated
thread, so if you increase the number of pixels too much, input will
lag and miss keystrokes.

It is fairly easy to create toy fonts limited to a few hundreds of
symbols (typically ASCII), or to create an “artistic” effect (meaning
no one will suffer reading long runs of texts that use this font). It
is mightily hard to create a font, good enough to be used in everyday
life.

That’s why most free software projects cheat and commission they fonts
at professional foundries (Bitstream for Vera, Ascender for Liberation,
Crosscore and Droid, Bold Monday for IBM Plex, Bigelow & Holmes for Go,
Dalton Maag for Ubuntu).

There are very few quality fonts on the market which have been created
by a community process (Linux Libertine, DejaVu, Cantarell)

> > Font work
> > comes up in waves.. the last wave was about 6 to 8 years ago when
> > people were working on various fonts for Fedora.. but then it sort
> of
> > hit a fallow time because it takes a continual effort of interested
> > and knowledgeable participants.

Font work (creation and packaging) takes a lot of commitment and
attention to detail. It's hard to sustain so it comes and goes.

BTW
https://pagure.io/fork/nim/fonts-rpm-macros/commits/master
https://pagure.io/fork/nim/packaging-committee/tree/fonts-rpm-macros
(rebases hide the actual commit dates in the web view)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot