Re: ask.fedoraproject.org - redirects?

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 at 14:03, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> James Cassell wrote:
> > When I asked, the answer was that it costs money to do custom redirects,
> > and the old site is going away "soon" so it would be overcome by events
> > sooner or later.
>
> This just shows how bad an idea it is to rely on third-party-hosted
> services. If this were self-hosted Free Software on Fedora Infrastructure
> (e.g., a self-hosted version of Discourse), changing the error page would be
> a relatively small patch and cost absolutely nothing.
>
> So why does Fedora let commercial third parties host critical project
> infrastructure on the fedoraproject.org domain?

These systems are not small tasks to keep up and running.. the
upstream code is not 'static' or backportable so you are constantly
updating to upstream to keep up with CVE security. There are also
regular schema changes and a ton of packaging items which need someone
who is going to become a discourse expert to run. Our experience has
been that we either end up having a system which is broken a lot
because it isn't being maintained or is taking up so much time that
Fedora people complain we aren't working on getting a compose out the
door.

So instead we decided to invest money into a company which pays the
authors of discourse (and we previously paid the person who wrote
askbot). That means we do lose absolute control but we do fund the
upstream.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.