Re: Fedora Modularity: What's the Problem?

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 8:21 PM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 2:16 PM Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
> <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you for this very useful summary.
> >
> > One general problem with the thinking behind this is that it applies much more
> > to CentOS or RHEL than it does to Fedora. In particular:
> > > users want a solid, stable, reliable, *unchanging* system.
> >
> > In that case, really, Fedora is not the answer. No matter how much I love
> > Fedora, I know that it is never going to be most stable and reliable, and
> > it is never going to be *unchanging*.
> >

> There's a lot to unpack in your reply here, but ultimately most of it
> seems to fall from this fundamental point. It's a logical fallacy
> called "begging the question". The current state of Fedora is...
> volatile. It's new, it's exciting and occasionally dangerous. But your
> presumption here is that the danger should not be avoided. You're
> saying "Fedora isn't stable therefore Fedora shouldn't be made more
> stable" and effectively asserting that no one *else* would want it to
> be more stable as well.

I don't think we should "not want it to get more stable", and I don't
think that was what Zbyszek meant with his reply.

Still, I do not see how modules improve this situation for fedora.
Fedora releases all reach EOL after 13 months, and will not get any
more package updates. Separate module lifecycles won't change that
(and as others have noted, this issue has also been considered and
voted on by FESCo).

On the other hand, the overlap between support cycles for fedora
releases (either 7 or 13 months) and the release dates are *by design*
aligned with other major software projects (GNOME, GCC, python, etc.
which usually release new major versions either biannually or
annually), so it makes it easier to ship major updates for these
projects with new fedora releases, and there's no need for another
layer of indirection with "phasing stuff in", because you only get
major changes (such as new GCC) at distribution upgrade time, and
never inbetween.

And, since the fedora release cycle is so short compared to RHEL,
separate module lifecycles 👏 just 👏 don't 👏 make 👏 sense 👏 here
(because you can instead just align major updates with the next
closest fedora release).

Fabio