Re: Switching Maven and Ant to OpenJDK 11

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 3:41 PM Tomasz Torcz <tomek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Simple reason - while Oracle decided to move Java to a faster, time
> > > based release cycle the Java community essentially shrugged the
> > > proverbial shoulders and ignored Oracle.
> > >
> > > Much of the Java ecosystem is still only supported on Java 8, and if
> > > you go to adoptopenjdk.net the default choice remains Java 8.
> >

> > I'm afraid that Oracle inherited a lot of Sun's practices on software
> > versioning when they bought Java. The version naming scheme, numbering
> > scheme, and the release schedule, are inconsistent, unpredictable, and
> > cannot be relied on from Oracle's announcements,  Ergo, right now,
> > Oracle is deprecating Java 8, and encouraging the current LTS, Java
> > 11. Make no prodictions for the schedule or the next LTS release, this
> > is *right now*.
>
>   According to the table at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history
> Java 11 is LTS, and the next LTS will be Java 17 in 2021. There are also
> planned releases in between, with dates given.
>   By the way, isn't Redhat main driving force behind Java 11 at the moment? What to make from
>   https://www.redhat.com/en/about/press-releases/leadership-openjdk-8-and-openjdk-11-transitions-red-hat ?

That press release reflects the uncertainties. It says Red Hat "is
stewarding both OpenJDK 8 and OpenJDK 11, which will converge with the
Oracle JDK". A steward, in legal terms, is not the owner. They are
typically an employee entrusted with responsibility, but that trust
and authority can be withdrawn. And which way will the convergence go?
Will OpenJDK become the reference release, which might make sense? And
what about IBM Java, now that IBM bought Red Hat?

Announcements like that are precisely why I would not trust any major
release schedule for Java for any company right now. Since Java 11 is
the latest long-t4erm release right now, I'd switch to it by default
to get architectural features and bug fixes.