Re: Modularity and all the things

On Thu, 24 Oct 2019 at 08:10, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 4:45 AM Lukas Ruzicka <lruzicka@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Are you proposing to _do_ those things, or proposing that someone else
>>> oughta?
>>

>> This is an unfair statement!
>>
>> I thought Fedora is a community of people. In the community, we have
>> programmers, visionaries, idealists, testers, graphics ... and we also have users, that only know
>> if they like or dislike something, if the want or don'ŧ want to use the product somehow. Not everybody
>> is a good programmer or a software designer, so they cannot go and make it betterby themselves,
>> but they can still give valid ideas. And it may be good to hear their voice, because they may have
>> good ideas, too.
>

> There's a very large difference between feedback like "I think the user experience is suboptimal here, for this reason" and "I don't like the entire design, you should scrap it and start over".

The problem is that there are two different ideas of what the actual
problems needing fixed are. Many of the people coming up with
solutions feel that you have built a 3 wheeled car
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliant_Robin) and you want it not to
flip over. You instead feel you built a 4 wheeled car but the doors
are stuck a lot (a UX problem). The door problem to them is because
they see the car flipping over a lot.. so maybe start with the wheels
instead of the door.

Whether that is true or not is the difference between virtual reality
and physical reality. If modularity was a real thing you could show
that you do have 4 wheels with equal separation between each axle. In
our virtual world, the picture people are going to have is pretty much
their first impression. Trying to fix that first impression takes a
lot of emotional effort by the people making the product which means
they can't fix the door problem either.

Until we actually agree on what the 'modularity' is, does, and is
going.. I expect that the most common answer here is going to be 'go
back and add a 4th wheel'.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.