Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 09:30:52PM -0400, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> If I were to start from scratch on this, I would look at the simplest
> solution I would want from Boltron. I want to make it so a package team can
> make a set of packages in a repository and work out how I can interact with
> other repositories. I also want to easily build that package set in ways to
> work on different versions of an operating system.

The question is whether this team wants to do the "heavy lifting"
(which might or might not actually be very heavy), of integrating with
the rest of the distro. If they don't, then Copr is the answer: it
provides all the answers, including automatic rebuilds.

If they do, and they invest in following the packaging guidelines and
and the release cycles and whatever we say makes the package suitable
for users and other packagers to build on, they get to put the package
in the distro.

> 1. They have a lot of packages they need to tie together
> 2. They need to build those packages for multiple deliverable operating
> environments
> 3. They need to interact with other groups of packages in a way which that
> their group can 'know' if there is a chance of coworking.
> 4. Many are tied to systems which have fast, hard update cycles which do
> not work with even a 'fast' OS like Fedora.
>
> Users are wanting
> 1. A system which can tie these different speed things together.
> 2. That system to be updated or is clear on why it can't and what needs to
> be done.

This is all already satisfied by rpms (even from Copr).
In particular, for point 3., there can be no magic: we can *express*
relationships between packages with Provides and Requires, but to
*know* what should be expressed, we need packager input _and_ ideally
lots of QA and testing. No new repo format and metadata language fundamentally
changes this.

Zbyszek