Re: Packaging graph-tool: help speeding up build

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 21:02:49 +0200, Christopher Engelhard wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> On 14.10.19 19:59, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> >> Is the documentation using parallel builds?
> >
> > They don't say.
>
> Seems unlikely, see below
>
> > It uses configure/make/make install. I had run the build with make -j1
> > too, but that had seemed to run even slower.. I hadn't checked the
> > resource usage though, so maybe I'll run that again.
>
> Using a single thread (by setting using %make_build -j1 or
> RPM_BUILD_NCPUS=1) takes ages but seems to work at least locally.
>
> Still the RAM usage is nowhere near the 3GB your graph shows.
>
> - Mostly gcc uses around 2GB, with assembler adding up to 4GB on
> occasion, very briefly.
>
> - Some of the make steps are insane:
> Biggest offenders so far seem to be graph_blockmodel_imp.lo with 10GB
> for gcc + 4GB assembler, followed by graph_assortativity.lo with 6GB gcc
> + 4GB assembler, and a few others with 4-5GB gcc + 3-4GB assembler.
> Throw multi-threading into the mix and this will easily add up to the
> memory usage you're seeing (It totally killed my test server, that's for
> sure.
>
> I have no idea what hardware koji is using, so even single-threaded,
> this might be an issue, but I'd still give it a try.

Thank you for investigating. I'm running a local mock build with a
single thread, and that seems to be ticking along at the moment.
Hopefully that'll do with Koji too.

Out of curiosity, how long did the build take on your machine there?

> Christopher
>
> P.S.: The linked spec file only works for me if I use
> %autosetup -S git -n %{modname}-%{version}
> because the archive doesn't unpack to packagename-version.ext

Ugh, yes! I renamed the spec to "python-graph-tool" form "graph-tool"
and forgot to update the autosetup command there. Corrected that now.

--
Thanks,
Regards,