Re: Modularity and the system-upgrade path

On Fri, 2019-10-11 at 14:42 -0400, Robbie Harwood wrote:

> I believe the point most of us are struggling with is: there's no
> definition of what advantages of modularity are.  There may or may not
> be some idea of what the advantages could be, which is a different
> thing.  This makes it really hard to argue whether it is or isn't
> succeeding when there isn't a criteria for success.

Well, there's various places that provide a fairly 'official'
definition of what the advantages are supposed to be. E.g. the
Modularity docs site has a FAQ section where this is the first
question: "Exactly what problem are you trying to solve?"

https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/modularity/faq/

"Deploying software has many solutions, but what gets deployed often
plays out as a fight between developers and operators. Developers want
the latest (or at least later) features. Operators want software in
packages, certified, with a known period of support. Fedora Modularity
provides multiple versions of packages in a Linux distribution with the
qualities expected from a Linux distribution: transparently built and
delivered, actively maintained, and easy to install — making both
happy."

The "Modules for Everyone" Change also had a "Benefit to Fedora"
section, as it was required to:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ModulesForEveryone#Benefit_to_Fedora

"Fedora users will have access to a wider range of software choices
than they had previously. Fedora Packagers will be able to use modules
and module defaults to build each stream once and have it available for
any supported Fedora release they wish. They will no longer need to
duplicate that work for both the modular and non-modular repositories."

The 'Fedora Modularization' objective also defines a goal:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives/Fedora_Modularization_%E2%80%94_The_Release#Goal

"Modularity will transform the all-in-one Fedora OS into an operating
system plus a module repository, which will contain a wide selection of
software easily maintained by packagers. This iteration of the
Objective focuses on the second part — providing a wide selection
software in various versions — while laying the groundwork for the
first."

I think those texts taken together give a reasonable account of what
modularity is *supposed* to be doing for us, so we can at least attempt
to then ask and answer the question "is it actually achieving these
things"?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey