Re: s390x: glibc32 and gcc

* Jerry James:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 12:39 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sorry, I wasn't aware that you were trying to rebuild gcc this week.  I
>> spoke to Jakub about the glibc32 change, and he had no objections.
>>
>> It's not clear how you are handling the transition.  Why do you need to
>> change GCC build requirements?  Did anyone request this?
>>
>> I would have expected a run-time-only compat-mpfr library with the old
>> soname, so that GCC keeps working until it is rebuilt.
>
> It's a little trickier than you might expect, because of libmpc, which
> is also linked with mpfr.

And did not bump soname at the same time?  I suspected as much once I
stared at the problem some more.

> I don't understand your question about changing GCC build
> requirements.  They're changing *back* now, to what they were before
> the transition began; i.e., mpfr-devel and libmpc-devel.

Oh, if mpfr and mpc had bumped soname at the same time, the
BuildRequires: change would not have been necessary.  But if these
libraries are not coordinated in this way, then you are right, something
like this has to be done (given that it's not possible to load mpfr
twice at different versions, due to lack of symbol versioning).

> Thanks for responding so quickly.  I appreciate you fixing the gcc
> build and getting it restarted.  I expect it will finish while I am
> sleeping tonight, so I'll get the rest of the builds launched first
> thing in the morning tomorrow.  Given that we still have to get
> through the flint-Singular-polymake-sagemath sequence of builds, they
> probably won't finish until Sunday night, or possibly even Monday
> morning.  I appreciate everybody's patience with this process.

We need to verify that we can still build a working bootloader on s390x,
but that can wait until next week.

Thanks,
Florian