Re: Fedora 32 System-Wide Change proposal: Modules in Non-Modular Buildroot

On 10. 10. 19 1:44, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Wed, 9 Oct 2019 at 18:46, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What I miss in the description is:

1. How does this thing actually work? is there an additional repository composed
from the default streams available in Koji only?

2. How are conflicts between packages from the default streams and ursine
package be handled?

3. What is the local experience if the packager is using mock. What if they are
using rpmbuild directly?

So from doing a lot of builds with mock, then the packager should be
ok because mock pulls in modules and you can define in mock which
module streams you want if you needed something differently. For
rpmbuild it is a bit harder because you may have used one module on
your local system and built with another.. However in someways this is
similar to rpm where I might have installed an F31 package on my F30
system to test something and then found out my local rpmbuild didn't
work.

In many ways I found working with mock easier than working with any of
the other system tools when dealing with modules. The file is very
well commented and it was clear what I needed to do to make it work.
So I can't answer anything else.. but I think the local experience for
mock users will be smoother than elsewhere.

What I really care about here is that the mock experience more or less equals the Koji experience. I.e. I don't want the packagers to (need to) enable modules in mock when in fact in Koji they are not enabled, but some other magic is happening.

Having a description about what this change actually does to enable modules in the buildroot will hopefully steer this discussion more to the specifics of how to enable the same thing in mock (by default).

--
Miro Hrončok