Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

Björn Persson <Bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> It's definitely the winning workflow in the open source world today,
>>> particularly for smaller and drive-by contributions, which I think
>>> we'd like to encourage.
>>
>> It's an awesome workflow for those cases. Not so much when you are
>> the maintainer of said piece.
>
> In the drive-by contributor role I've always found pull requests
> unwieldy. I thought they were intended for frequent contributors or
> project members, for whom the added clicking might be a small burden
> compared to all the work they do for the project.
>
> Perhaps pull requests are convenient for a maintainer who receives
> them in large numbers – I've only ever received one pull request so I
> can't judge – but I don't see how they would encourage drive-by
> contributions.  If you want to encourage drive-by contributions, then
> you should make it easy to submit a patch without first registering an
> account, forking a project and so on.

I have experienced this as a maintainer as well.  The issue for drive-by
contributors is not so much pull requests as the account system itself.
For example, I had a contributor from OpenSUSE email me patches to my
pagure-hosted project (gssproxy) rather than opening a pull request
because they didn't have a Fedora account.

If you look at GitLab, for example, they support a *ton* of federated
sign-ins: GitLab supports Google, Twitter, GitHub, Bitbucket, and
Salesforce.

Thanks,
--Robbie