Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

On Wed, 2019-10-02 at 14:44 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, at 1:40 PM, Fabio Valentini wrote:
>
> > As others in the thread have pointed out, mandatory pull requests just
> > make no sense for most single-maintainer projects, which most packages
> > probably are.
>
> Well, a lot of this relates to what the *merge policy* is.  If a PR submitter can merge their own PRs, and there's a
> mechanism to do "merge when tests pass" (this is an important aspect), then submitting a PR can be just about as
> equally ergonomic as `git push`.
Yeah, that sounds good & nice improvement to the currently available options. In some cases I run scratchbuilds as a
kind of a smoke tests before the "real" build - this way I could just use this and save some time. :)

All in all I think much of this discussion feels a bit redundant to me - lets just implement the support for improved
PRs that can be easily & automatically created and that triger all sorts of tests and builds. If the new system is good,
I'm sure many maintainers would switch to it to everyones benefit - less regressions & less time taken maintaining
packages.

At the same time if other maintainers have their own workflow that is not compatible with the PR workflow or makes it
redundant for their packages, they should not be forced to use it.