Re: Defining the future of the packager workflow in Fedora

On 26. 09. 19 21:47, Randy Barlow wrote:
On Thu, 2019-09-26 at 19:05 +0000, Jeremy Cline wrote:
The tag also provides a nice place to write release notes for the
update. I suppose you could also add support for some sort of text
tag
inside commits (like when you mark a commit as fixing an issue in
Git{Lab,Hub} and look at the commits between the new tag and old one
so
selective git commits could get sucked into the changelog as well.

Oh that's beautiful. I've seen a lot of proposals to use the git
changelog to replace the spec file changelog, but I dislike those
proposals because the git changelog should be targeting an audience of
spec file authors, not end users. As cited earlier, I often make
refactor commits, and I *do* want to log those for other spec file
developers, but I wouldn't want those messages to go to end users (they
don't care or even know about the spec file).

This suggestion gives a nice clean place to write the bodhi update
description, right in git. The commit messages can remain the way they
are today: authored for the audience of spec file contributors.

We could also support special syntax in the tag message to allow people
to specify the various bodhi update fields (severity, karma
requirements, whatever else) if they want to do that that way.

The ability to use annotated git tags instead of changelog entries sounds intriguing.

The ability to use it to create updates in bodhi sounds like git porn.

--
Miro Hrončok