Re: Wireless Internet Connection problemo!

On 03/12/2005 08:00:26 PM, Ric Ya wrote:
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the Fedora Core. I recently download Core 3 and it
seems cool so far.

I am currently having a problem trying to access the internet with my
wireless card. I know in Windows, for me, it was simple. Put in CD and
install drivers. I tried to use the CD, but it wasn't working. I tried
to click on Setup.exe and so forth. The wireless card I am using is a
Linksys Wireless B 802.11b Model # WMP11. Not sure if that helps, but
hopefully it does. Anyways, I'm brand new to this and I want to setup
a home server and serve the net, but I need to get my connection up.

Thanks!

I'm guessing that card uses a broadcom chipset, but you should find out whatever it is that it uses first.

lspci might list it. Might be hard to find, though. For me - this is what the entry looks like in lspci :

[mpeters@devel ~]$ /sbin/lspci |grep "802\.11"
01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)

That tells me it is an Atheros chip - and I know for atheros I can use madwifi (not part of Fedora Core, but installs fine)

If what you have is broadcom, you may be able to use ndiswrapper - but I have no experience with that at all.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/