Re: Fedora 32 Self-Contained Change proposal: Better Thermal Management for the Workstation

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 8:21 AM Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ThermalManagementWS
>
> == Summary ==
> Better thermal management and peak performance on Intel CPUs by
> including thermald in the default install.
>
> == Owner ==
> * Name: [[User:benzea| Benjamin Berg]]
> * Email: bberg@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> * Name: [[User:ckellner| Christian J. Kellner]]
> * Email: ckellner@xxxxxxxxxx
> * Product: Workstation
> * Responsible WG: Workstation
>
> == Detailed Description ==
>
> Modern Intel-based systems provide sensors and methods to monitor and
> control temperature of its CPUs. The Thermal daemon will use those
> sensors to monitor the temperature and use the best available method
> to keep the CPU in the right temperature envelop. On certain systems
> this is needed to reach the maximal performance. For optimal
> performance a per-model thermald configuration should be created, this
> can either be done by using dptfxtract (available from rpmfusion) or
> we could ship static configuration files for a set of known models.

I generally like the idea, but my concern is with my experience having
run thermald out of the box (both upstream as well as the Federa
packaged version).

On my commodity HP Spectre laptop, when thermald is running, it causes
four kidle-inject process to totally soak spare CPU. And now I'm not
able to play even a single youtube video, and any appreciable effort
in Firefox also causes these processes to tamp down, making everything
super sluggish and basically terrible.

I reported this experience a year ago not knowing at the time it was
thermald that was causing this behavior. It took me a while to make
the connection.
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/BK2DVB4PA37FMB2DTMUI4YBM7YDGSJTK/

That definitely cannot happen by default for anyone. It's so
non-obvious what's causing it, and such a bad experience, that I'm not
willing to foist it on a single person. I'd sooner foist it on
hundreds, at least the screaming will be loud enough everyone will
figure out what's going on.

--
Chris Murphy