Re: Renewing the Modularity objective

On 2019-09-19, Michal Schorm <mschorm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> While the new major version of the database is being developed, I'd
> love to pack it in Fedora, test it, offer it to the users and provide
> feedback to the upstream, solving the uprising issues with them way
> before the GA.
> Because I want to keep a stable version in the base Fedora, I'm using
> modules to provide both of them.
> E.g. when MySQL 8 was being developed ( pre-GA releases ), I normally
> maintained the MySQL 5.7 (latest stable major version) in the base
> Fedora, while having MySQL 8 as a module.

When MySQL 8 is being developed and being packages as module, do you
build the module for Rawhide only or for all Fedoras?

If you build it for all Fedoras, how do you deal with incompatible
changes during the MySQL 8 developement. I'm hitting on the Fedora
Updates Policy that forbids incompatible changes in stable Fedoras.

If you build it for Rawhide only, how do you ensure that the module is
not inheritted into a stable Fedora on branching. Because in case of
branching F31 relengs tried very hard to branch the module and rebuild
them. (Despite I told them not to do that with perl:5.26.)

I'm still missing an offical recognition that there can be modules under
development in stable Fedora. Otherwise we have no way of developing new
modules. Fedora tries very hard to align module lifecycle to Fedora
lifecycle. It does not work for me.

-- Petr