Re: swap on ZRAM, zswap, and Rust was: Better interactivity in low-memory situations

Zbyszek,

Do you have any advice on how to assess 'swap on ZRAM' versus 'zswap'
by default for Fedora Workstation? They're really too similar from a
user point of view, I think it really comes down to the technical
arguments.

1a. 'swap on ZRAM' compresses only that which goes to the ZRAM device
1b. zswap compresses everything whether it goes to the memory pool or
swap on disk.
2a. 'swap on ZRAM' must be configured to give priority to the ZRAM
device; once full, disk swap (if present) is used
2b. zswap anticipates the future usage of data, favoring the memory or
disk swap locations accordingly

They both appear equally easy to enable by default for clean installs
and upgrades.

I'd say 'swap on ZRAM' is well suited for the cases where there's no
existing swap partition, and low memory devices. Whereas zswap is
better suited for average to higher end systems, where the main goal
is swap avoidance, but where zswap can help moderate the worst
performance effects of the transition to disk based swap.

It seems premature to drop the creation of a swap partition at
installation time. I think that'd be unexpected by most users. And
might have some consequences other than (unsupported) hibernation use
case.

So my assessment, at this point, would be to recommend zswap for
Fedora Workstation. Likely using zbud/lz4. Maybe by Fedora 33 there
will be more confidence and testing done on z3fold.

--
Chris Murphy