Re: No More i686 Kernels, No i686 Repositories

On 9/16/19 1:08 PM, Alessio wrote:
> I read the change set for F31 [1] and I read the threads in this list,
> but now I'm a bit lost and a bit confused. So I don't want to reply to
> the already existent thread, because I would like some clarifications.
> I don't want to open a new endless thread. :-)

Completely understandable.

> Could someone explain in simple words what that means for a Fedora
> user? Talking about i686 architecture, what a user should expect in
> F31?
>
> - No more i686 bootable images (this is pretty clear)

Correct.

> - Can a user running a 32 bit F30 upgrade to F31?

In theory its possible, but really the answer is no, please don't.

> - Can a user install i686 version of a package?

If the user is running a x86_64 install, they can install any i686
package thats multilib (ie, there for the purposes of running 32bit
software on a 64bit install).

if the user is running a i386 fedora 29 or 30, then yes, they can
install i686 packages.

So, really the answer here is that if you have a 32bit install, you
should really look at:

1) can your hardware just run 64bit, but you haven't moved it to that
yet for some reason? then look at doing so before f30 goes end of life.

2) If you're hardware cannot run 64bit, it might be time to upgrade.
Failing that you could look at moving it to another distro that still
supports i386.

Hope that helps, happy to clarify anything further.

kevin