Re: F29 liberations-fonts dependencies are messed in several packages(or it's dnf)

Nicolas Mailhot via devel wrote:
> The correct thing would have been never to create a narrow liberation
> subpackage in the first place since narrow is just a face of a font
> (like bold).

In theory, in an ideal world, that makes sense. But in practice, M$ ships
separate "Arial" and "Arial Narrow" fonts which are used in that form in
thousands of documents worldwide, and we need to be compatible with that. So
there need to be 2 separate fonts.

And the reason why the 2 Liberation Sans variants (plain and Narrow) are now
in separate packages is that Liberation 2 does not ship Liberation Sans
Narrow anymore, because it is not part of the set of fonts Google bought.
(Liberation 2 is a fork of the Google Croscore fonts.) It was part of the
set of fonts Red Hat bought for Liberation 1 though, so we ship Liberation
Sans Narrow from Liberation 1 as a separate package under a different
license.

So there are valid technical and legal reasons for the subpackage to be
separate. Hence, this is not likely to change any time soon.

        Kevin Kofler