Re: Interest in doing Fedora CI with test subpackages

Hi Neil,

Neil Horman <nhorman@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hey all-
> 	I was starting to setup CI for one of my packages in Fedora (cscope),
> which requires that I have access to the sources to run my test (cscope uses its
> own source tree to search for various symbols to confirm that its working
> properly).  Getting the sources in the CI environment is a bit of a pain, so I
> started working on trying to do this by creating a test subpackage (specifically
> named -citest) to package up the sources solely for the purpose of getting them
> installed and available during CI runs.  It occured to me that this offers
> several advantages, among them:
> 1) the ability to codify dependencies within the ame spec file, rather than
> having to copy them to the test.yml file, and keep them in sync
>
> 2) The ability to use a file format (rpm spec files) that I'm more familiar with
>
> 3) Easy access to tests that are embedded in the source tree

This is imho a pretty big advantage, as it ensures that the tests and
the source don't diverge.

> 4) minimizing the test harness setup in test.yml
>
> For anyone interested, I've got a pull request started here:
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/cscope/pull-request/2
>
> If anyone wants to take a look at the changes I had to make to do this (fair
> warning, its still very rough).
>
> That all said, I was wondering if perhaps there was general interest in making
> this kind of test model somewhat more formal (i.e. creating an rpm macro library
> to make test package generation a bit easier, creating a standard entry point to
> run tests, etc).

I am not sure whether a generalization makes sense, as there are so many
languages with such a wide range of test suites. What would make sense
to standardize would be the generation of a -citest subpackage though,
so that it is setup correctly and consistently.

> Thoughts welcome

I like this idea and you're actually not the first one ;-). Something
comparable is being done in openSUSE's Ruby RPM packages: if the gem
ships a testsuite, then a -test subpackage is created with the tests
inside it. (In practice these packages are unfortunately never used, as
they often lack the necessary dependencies to be installable and even
if, the testsuite usually doesn't run outside of bundler, but that's a
different story).

I think this approach makes especially sense for packages which ship an
extensive test suite that is not feasible to run during %check, but can
be run in the gating CI.