Re: Some Java packages in need of new permanent maintainer(s)

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 11:23 AM Dridi Boukelmoune
<dridi.boukelmoune@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 6:51 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello packagers,
> >
> > The Stewardship SIG is currently providing only bare-minimum
> > maintenance for some Java packages, and none of our packages depend on
> > them anymore.
> > So, we're looking for someone to take better care of them, preferably
> > someone who actively uses these packages or maintains a package that
> > depends on them.
> >
> > The packages are:
> >
> > - java-base64
> > - jboss-jstl-1.2-api
> > - jetty-version-maven-plugin
> > - stringtemplate4
> > - tagsoup
> >
> > Directly dependent packages of java-base64:
> > - Java-WebSocket
> > - elasticsearch
> > - gherkin2-java
> > - java-vash
> > - java-xmlbuilder
> > - jets3t
> > - rescu
> > - smack
> > - sshj
>
> Doesn't Java have a Base64 class in its standard library since Java 8?
> Apologies if I remember wrong since I'm not doing any Java anymore and
> haven't for years now, but the java-base64 could go away if dependent
> upstreams used the built-in codec. My understanding is that it would
> be the package maintainers' responsibility to bring this up, potentially
> with patches, but it is also my understanding that we are dearly missing
> maintainers in this area...
>
> My 2 cents

You're right, java8 does provide base64 functionality in its standard library:
https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/api/java/util/Base64.html

It would be nice if dependent projects could migrate to this instead
of using a third-party library (the same is true for base64coder).
However, I don't really have the time to actually do the porting work
here, since I'm already trying to keep the ~200+  core Java packages
in fedora from falling apart in my spare time.

I also checked the list of dependent packages again, and 5 of them are
already orphans, so they will go away soon anyway.

Fabio