Re: Fedora 31 System-Wide Change proposal: Switch RPMs to zstd compression

* Nico Kadel-Garcia:

> On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 3:52 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> * Neal Gompa:
>>
>> > Well, technically, the correct thing to do would be for Mock to
>> > support downloading bootstrap images to speed up bootstrap. These
>> > images could be regularly produced by Fedora infrastructure and made
>> > available on the mirror network for all targets we support as a
>> > project. They'd be useful for COPR too, as then it can permanently
>> > switch to bootstrap mode.
>>
>> I don't think this could work because there too many different
>> buildroots nowadays, and building and storing the bootstrap images would
>> take too much resources.
>
> The "correct thing to do" would be not to make work more difficult for
> long-term maintainers and people backporting software from the testing
> bed that Fedora provides and not break backwards compatibility for
> source code packages in the name of a very modest improvement in
> compression.

The improvements in installation time are quite significant.  But there
will always be interesting new RPM features as long as the software is
being maintained, and some of them will break the existing bootstrapping
mechanism if they leak into the core package set.

> Maybe don't use zstd for SRPM?

That doesn't really help with constructing the buildroot, which is the
hard problem anyway.

>> And if build images are the future, perhaps podman integration is the
>> answer.  Although the image distribution protocol is probably the worst
>> part of Docker.
>
> And chroot cages was the future. As were micro virtual machines. As
> are "immutable images" this year.
>
> Software packaging is not going away anytime in the foreseeable
> future.

I meant this strictly for distributing the bootstrapping environment.
It wouldn't really make sense for mock to grow its own container image
infrastructure.

Thanks,
Florian