Re: [Test-Announce] Fedora 31 Beta Freeze

On 8/27/19 5:31 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> I think that all the major milestones happen typically on Tuesday, so
>> this must have been (unfortunate) typo IMO.
>
> But the point is that this was corrected less than 24 hours before the
> freeze kicks in. This is a completely unacceptably short notice.
>
> It is already bad enough that Fedora freezes happen on 00:00 UTC on the
> announced day as opposed to 24:00 UTC as used in almost all other projects

24:00 does not exist? Or to me it makes as little sense as 00:00.

> (and fixing that would not even require any kind of procedure or policy
> change, it would just require subtracting 1 from all the freeze dates that
> get posted on the wiki!), which caught several of us off guard more than
> once (yet, nobody even bothered replying to my requests to fix that), but
> now even that can no longer be trusted because the posted dates get "fixed"
> with a 0-day notice.

I'd support changing the freeze dates to be something more like 18:00UTC
the date they are listed. That would give people more time/be actually
on the date when people are awake. I'll float the idea to releng and
then fesco.

> IMHO, the right thing to do would be to quickly postpone the freeze (i.e.,
> unfreeze where necessary) by a whole week, then it's still on midnight from
> Monday to Tuesday as usual, but people will have gotten a reasonable
> advanced notice.

I'm not sure thats very possible (at least it would be difficult to undo
some things).

I'd suppport doing another stable push before we go into freeze tho...
there's a fesco ticket where I suggested that.

kevin