Re: No longer supporting mailing lists:

Hey Kevin:

> Gerald B. Cox wrote:
>
> If the plan is to replace mailing lists with something that cannot even
> provide the same functionality, that is unreasonable and isn't going to
> happen.
>

> But you are assuming that we actually WANT to migrate, which is NOT the
> case.

LOL, I've noticed!  ;-)

> But what about the die-hard NNTP users? You entirely ignored my post to
> which you are supposedly replying.

I believe there is a plugin for that with Discourse:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/sync-discourse-with-nntp/58602

> Then use either NNTP through Gmane (news.gmane.org, default port 119,
> STARTTLS supported; and the trick to be able to post without getting treated
> as spam is to subscribe to the mailing list, but disable mail delivery), or
> HyperKitty (web interface, should just work).
>
> Since you like web interfaces, why does HyperKitty not fulfill your needs?
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I was thinking about HyperKitty and if it had RSS support that would make it workable.  I already use RSS quite a bit and having the feed come through that and to be able to select items through there and launch into HyperKitty would be very workable - and apparently RSS support for HyperKitty / Mailman 3 has been in the works for years now, but AFAIK not much has happened with it.  I submitted another post regarding that.  Regarding NNTP I've haven't used newsreaders in years and to be honest dealing with yet another tool isn't something I would want to do... probably the same as people here not wanting to use Discourse.